Monday, February 2, 2009

"Breakfast at Tiffany's" Birthday

I met Suzanne about 10 years ago when we attended MOPS together. One of my first acts of being coordinator was to award Suzanne the "MOPS Angel" award. I made up the award just for Suzanne because she was a MOPS table leader and a brand new member, who had just moved to our city, started to miscarry her 2nd child and Suzanne was the only "friend" she knew. It was the middle of the night and Suzanne agreed to stay with the woman's 2 year old sleeping son as her husband drove her to the hospital. This is typical Suzanne. She is from North Carolina and as sweet as can be! Always willing to give a helping hand and is a wonderful cook and hostess. Her Southern biscuits are amazing and she claims there is no recipe, she just dumps stuff in a bowl!
So this dear friend is also in my tea group and about to celebrate her 50th birthday on February 8th. The tea group decided to throw a big bash in Suzanne's honor on Feb 22 so her mother will be able to attend. Of course, I went a little nutty and started planning it. :) I chose "Breakfast at Tiffany's" because her favorite color is blue and the novel (1958) and movie (1961)came out right around her birthday year (1959).
The invitations are Tiffany Blue and I went to http://www.stamps.com/ to make the custom Tiffany box b-day cake stamp. I couldn't have Audrey on it, no celebrities or look-alikes. I bought mini blue boxes to fill with blue M&Ms and tie with white ribbon. We will serve Blue Martinis and blue punch with blue sugar rimmed glasses. Flower arrangements will be in Mint Juleps cups to give a nod to Suzanne's southern heritage. The tablecloths are white with blue runners and diamonds scattered about. We invited 85 friends and church members.
The tea group girls are dressing in black dresses, pearls, long black gloves and wearing our hair up with a tiara as we pass hors d'Ourves. I got some pictures from Suzanne and I will be making a DVD slideshow to play at the party.
I will also be making a crystal tree dripping with Swarvski crystals. Suzanne loves Magnolia flowers so I may attach a few silk ones to the tree.
She knows we are throwing her a party but she doesn't know the theme. I just told her "blue" and she responded in her Southern drawl, "That's my favorite color". Yeah, I know!

12 comments:

Joanne Kennedy said...

Oh you MUST have the cake be a Tiffany Blue box with the white ribbon! What a fun party!

I so wish we lived closer. I would be more then happy to make that cake for you. It would be so easy to do.

I love your parties and can't wait to see it all come about.

Hugs,
Joanne

Brenda said...

What a wonderful theme! You ahve a very lucky friend (although it sounds like you feel the very same way about her!)

dina said...

LOVE, LOVE, I can't not wait to see the final party ! I love Breakfast At Tiffanys- you need to serve coffe in a greek paper cups and donuts- (just like Audrey ate)
thank you so much for sharing your creavite self with us.

Mo..."Mo's Cottage" said...

As you know I think you are amazing..and so clever in your ideas....you are a good friend to make everything so special for her 50th birthday....can not wait to see your amazing pictures of the party....and who dosen't love Tiffany's...I have a stack of Tiffany boxes on my desk at work.....they were gifts from my flight attendants...you can not through the boxes away and you can not re gift the box so what do you do...I put them in a little corner of my desk and enjoy them everyday.....Have a wonderful day!!!!!
Hugs,
Mo :-)

Mo..."Mo's Cottage" said...

me again.... throw it away not through it away....mornings are not my friend today or spelling....hehe....
Mo :-)

Anonymous said...

Last year I went to a sorority alumni club event at a florist. They had helped throw a tiffany's party and so they taught us how to tie the "perfect tiffany's bow" -- I found the instructions online here: http://www.aisledash.com/2008/03/15/how-to-tie-a-tiffany-bow-part-1/

Have fun at your party! I can't wait to see pics!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

wow! She is so lucky having you as a friend. I'm our MOPS coordinator and love to hear you met her there and are still good friends. Great story. Can't wait to see pictures of the party!!

Anonymous said...

If I lived near you, I would crash that party!! I know I could come up with some long gloves and a tiara and help you gals serve!!

What a fun time that will be--of course, you will show us photos from the event!!!!

Have a great day! Dana

said...

It's certainly going to be a feast for the eye, Donna.

Polka Dot Moon said...

She sounds like a wonderful friend and you are wonderful to throw such a fabulous party!!! I simply can not wait to see your pictures! You inspire me with your creativity :)
Denise

Ink Obsession Designs said...

This looks like it is going to be so much fun!! I love it!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Oh Donna, what an adorable girl spa party! You sure do go all out and you continue to amaze me with your endless talents! LOVE all the PINK! Looks like the girls had a blast! Hugs, Maryjane