Friday, July 10, 2009

Pretty in Purple

Thanks for being so patient with me! It has been quite a busy week. In December, Sheridan informed me that she didn't like the pink and green Shabby Chic bedroom she inhabited since she was 3; she wanted purple with pink accents. So I got to work on a design in January and finally started. The walls are Sassy Lilac from Lowe's and her bed, desk chair and bulletin board are in Lily Lavender from Benjamin Moore.
For the bulletin board, I was originally going to make a fabric board and frame it but changed to chicken wire. Why? you ask. I thought the fabric would be too busy on the wall and I already had the chicken wire from another project. Plus, I hate finding push pins on the floor!
I bought a new frame from Aaron Brothers but a recycled frame would be great too! The opening was the same width of the chicken wire, so I gave it a little stretch and it fit perfectly. I used a staple gun to fix it securely.
I spray painted clothespins to act as the pins on her board. I also threaded ribbon through the wire spring to add a little pattern to them.
I spray painted the wire white and used Lily Lavender on the frame.
The curtain rods and desk are from Target and the desk chair was in my grandmother's garage. I sanded it, painted and made a new seat out of 1/4" plywood and covered it with a foam pad, batting and fabric from JoAnn's.

I got her bedding and drapes from Layla Grayce website. It is made by Pine Cone Hill and it's not juvenille so it will grow with her.

The fairy picture over the bed is of Sheridan I had taken a few years ago. Her purple skirt goes perfectly with the room. If you look closely, Sheridan is also the green fairy she is holding. I was thinking of making some wall words in white that say "I do believe in fairies".
What do you think?
The only thing left to finish the room is 2 sconces on either side of her bed for some night time reading.
Sheridan and I are very happy with the results and she loves spending time in there.
She has already written a book at her desk. I hope the creativity continues!


13 comments:

Polka Dot Moon said...

Oh my her room is gorgeous! I just love purples and lavendars. You did a fabulous job! And I LOVE the bulletin board!

Kendra@My Insanity said...

I'm so glad you posted this and included paint colors, etc. First, because it is lovely, and second, because I am trying to nail down design choices for my daughters' bedroom and have been leaning toward purple with a few fairies. I like the color on the walls and the bedding, and I really like how the chicken wire turned out! Lucky girl!

Brenda said...

Gorgeous! A beautiful room that will grow with her!

Chris @ Celebrations At Home said...

Truly Fabulous! I love the whole concept of that Fairy Portrait!
...And who doesn't Love a little chicken wire?!! ; D

jen said...

It looks gorgeous Donna! (as does everything you do!)

designdazzle.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful!! I'm loving it all.
Okay - so you've got to enter the fairy art giveaway I'm hosting - the contest ends July 21st. It would look so cute in Sheridan's room. Of course, not as cute as Sheridan being a fairy. Darling room. I've got to post this on my blog....

designdazzle.blogspot.com said...

Also, I forgot to mention. I will be going to the LA gift show on Monday, July 20th if you want to come with. I need to be back by 3:00. My family and I are staying with friends on Sunday the 19th in S.C.
Let me know...

amy & lisa said...

This is just beautiful! I really love that bulletin board. What a great idea. So many times I see frames at Hobby Lobby at reduced prices and never buy them because there are no ideas in my head for them....there is now! :)

CAKE Creative Co. said...

what a wonderful job you did! the bullitan board is such a fun idea... i love it!

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

What an adorable room! My tween-ager granddaughter is just now re-doing her room, too, in black/white/blue/greens. She'd love this room!!

Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

The ParTea Planner said...

Stunning Donna! You continue to amaze me! I love the photo over the bed, did you that in Photoshop? Outstanding! And thanks for the tidbits of info like paint color names and brands, because, as you know, inquiring minds want to know!

Risa

La Tea Dah said...

What a beautiful room!!!!! I love the colors and the special details.

Kendall @ Entertaining Life said...

This turned out so lovely! What a lucky daughter you have:) I'm loving the chicken wire bulletin board! It's so creative!