Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Kindness of Strangers

In the relatively short time I have been blogging, I have noticed that there are amazingly kind and thoughtful people out there. I post a blurp, a thought, a plan in my head and people respond. I would have never dreamed that I would form bonds with people I have never met before in my life and probably never will. Whether it be a kind comment or someone offering to put a link on their blog to yours or sending a gift, the offering of friendship can be overwhelming.Last year, I met Karin from Creative Chaos. I mentioned that I was planning a Witches Tea for my friends and how I had a concept for an invitation. My "idea" involved vintage crepe paper and in my mailbox came vintage orange crepe paper from Karin. How thoughtful! I've never met this woman but I knew her from her writings and kind gift. In November, she let the blogging community know that she was diagnosed with breast cancer.
A few weeks before, my mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Karin and my mom happen to be on the same chemo schedule; same day and time. My mom doesn't own a computer (I know, weird!) so I would make copies of Karin's blog for her to read. My mom loved having someone else to share her experience with. For months, we checked in with Karin to see how she was coping. My mom's chemo ended but Karin still has to contiue her fight through radiation now.
Last week, I received a package from Karin. It contained a beautiful set of earrings that she had made (I won them in a giveaway she had) and this lovely piece of art she made for my mom.

Thank you, Karin, so much for the thoughtful gift! You continue to amaze me and I know with the blogging community behind you, you will beat this terrible disease and have more time and energy to enjoy your art and family. Our prayers are with you!

I would also like to thank everyone for their kind comments and taking the time to have links on their blogs. Thanks to Risa at The ParTea Planner for being the first blog I ever read and being my party planner friend, Amy at Living Locurto for offering to promote my site, Dana at The Stone Rabbit for the funny socks and pink mask and all of your sweet comments, and Brenda at Party Planning Mom for sending me coupons for first aid kits for my son's birthday party. I loved meeting Natalie from Little Shindigs and Cindy from Cute Pink Stuff. (We must go to the Rose Bowl Swap Meet again!) I truly appreciate your kindness and taking time out of your day to think of me.




9 comments:

Polka Dot Moon said...

You are one of the sweetest people in the blogging community! And you also happen to be one of the most creative people I've ever known (through our blogs!)
I do hope that someday I will get to meet you :) either in LA or AZ!!!!!

Denise

And how could I not mention that we share the same birthday :)

dana said...

I have to start by giving a big old DITTO to what Denise just said. Donna, you are one of the sweetest folks out there!!! I knew it the day I received the gummy teeth in the mail!! :) I knew it BEFORE that---I knew it from your sweet visits to my posts and just from what you shared on your posts. I agree, bloggers are so grand and supportive and just downright great. How did we get along before we entered this land of blog? I do know I am forever thankful that a dear friend talked me into it and helped set my blog up--it's changed my life (for the better!)

I do continue to think of your mom and the battle she fights and how hard it is for you to see her go through the battles. I will also include Karin in my thoughts and prayers....I will also visit her cuz you gave us a link!! See, bloggers are so suhweeet!!

It's storming tonight, but the temps will be near 100 again tomorrow. The Stone Rabbit's bunny sprinkler (given to me several years ago by Bonnie!) will be working hard for the next few days to keep us cool!

L, dana

Karin said...

Yay!! You got it! I know it took me forever to get to you....I hope your mom likes it...I had so much fun making it for her. Thanks so much for all the sweet words. We will have to meet soon! K

designdazzle.blogspot.com said...

wonderful job with your post. it is interesting how many friends you make through your blog - but have never met! We'll I'm lucky to know you and have met you personally! You are a great gal!! Great job with your blog.

Melissa Lester said...

It is amazing how friendships form in the blogosphere. Although you may never meet in real life, you know each other by heart.

Allidink said...

Aw, I hope your mom is well and your friend will be soon. I have loved getting to know you through blogging and everyone else here :)

All the best,
Allison

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Sweet Donna, what a lovely and heartfelt post! You are truly a sweetheart and loved by many bloggers and I am one of them! I am so blessed to have met you. I have had your Mother on my mind and good to hear she is doing well. I will continue to keep her and Karin in my thoughts & prayers.

Hugs,
Maryjane

P.S. Your tea party looked like so much fun!

dana said...

It HAS been really, really hot in KC, too. I don't know what part of KS your Gr. Aunt lives, but I imagine the temps in both spots are close to the same. Bonnie and I were in an outdoor flea market today--it was nearly 100. Thankfully, we were in the shade, but it was horrible when we started packing up this afternoon...yes, we're crazy. :)

Hope you have fun with the WOO screening!!! Love it, love it....wish you were my neighbor. I'd come in costume!!!

L, Dana

Dawn E said...

I'm new to your blog and haven't had the opportunity to "get to know you" through it yet. After reading this entry, I immediately thought of the So You Think You Can Dance that was aired this past Wednesday. The dance performed by Ade and Melissa was about a woman with breast cancer and was incredibly moving - even if you're not "into" dance. If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend taking a moment to watch it. I found it inspiring - as so many of us have been touched by people with or directly affected by this horrible disease. You can watch it on the following link:
http://www.curetoday.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/blog.showIndex/elizabethwhittington/2009/7/24/So-You-Think-You-Can-Dance-shows-breast-cancer-struggle-through-art Thank you for sharing your heart!