Thursday, January 22, 2009

What happened to the Tooth Fairy?

As a mother of a 14, 10 and 8 year old and former dental assistant specializing in pediatric and oral surgery, you would say that I have more experience with lost teeth than your average parent.
Sheridan's lower right cuspid had been hanging on for dear life for way over a month. The other day I asked my daughter if she was going to pull her tooth soon. She said "tomorow". The poor tooth was looking like a fang, slightly outside of the normal row of teeth with another tooth growing in behind it. Of course, it didn't receive the cleaning attention it deserved so you can image the state it must have been in!
Tomorrow came and I reminded Sheridan of her promise. She marched into the bathroom and tried to do the deed herself. She came out of the bathroom a bloody mess with the tooth still attached. She asked for my "professional" help and quickly abliged. I truly love pulling teeth! Scary, I know. I lifted it off the gum tissue and she asked "did you get it?" and I showed her the tooth. She cleaned it off and ran upstairs to put it in her tooth fairy pillow.
This morning, she came downstairs and said in such a pitiful voice with her head hanging low, "the tooth fairy didn't come!" My husband and I looked at each other in shock! Ooops!
I fell down on the job! How could I have done this? Guilt took over and I quickly ran upstairs to put $2 in the pillow instead of the customary $1 and a note from the tooth fairy. I bought some tooth fairy notes online several years ago to have on hand. I'm so glad when I plan ahead like that!
I took my oldest to Junior High and when I came back, Sheridan had found the money and the note and everything was good again!
Have you forgotten to do your "job"? What was the fallout?

9 comments:

Karin said...

Donna...did you read that one post where the toothfairy didn't show up for nearly a week? Poor Carlos had nearly given up. And there was the time when Santa forgot to fill the stocking..... and sadly, this was all before chemo. Hey, how's your mom doing? I will be thinking of her next week! Karin

Brenda said...

I kept forgeting to move our Elf on the Shelf last Christmas. The kids were so upset!

GiGi said...

Oh No!! Don't feel bad, My hubby and I forgot on several occasions. We blame it on the weather...after all fairies do fly =)

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Oh no...I forgot more than once with the same child...but good grief he is 9 1/2 and still hasn't figured it out...one night...the fairy and santa were both scheduled to come...he just KNEW they were going to hit head-on in the hallway and that money and toys were going to go everywhere!

Pink Slippers said...

That was so me too. When my oldest said the tooth fairy never came...when he was eating breakfast I snuck in his room and hid it INSIDE the pillow. Then told him --maybe he didn't look good enough. Lo and behold he looked again and found it.

Cottage Rose said...

Hey Donna; What a great and funny story. You know I have done the same thing when my kids were young. I just stuck it in their pillow case, they never new.... I felt so bad too. But is happens to all of us at some point. I am glad my kids are all married now, I don't have to remember that any more,,, they do, ahhhh love the pay back kind of thing.... lol

Hugs;
Alaura

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

How funny! I never forgot all the way....but twice had to get back up after "falling asleep on the job!".

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Polka Dot Moon said...

Oh My Gosh that is too funny! I too, have bought some notes and a little pillow for Jackson and have had to get up in the middle of the night as I just remembered what needed to be done! He's a super light sleeper too!
Now here's a fun one to explain to your child.........Jackson has gotten $2 for his first tooth and $1 for the second, but some kids from school get "toys"! Full, large sets of Legos, and other big presents! How do you explain that one??? It makes me crazy!

And, Thanks so much for the award!!! You're too sweet! I've been a bit behind, but will be posting it and passing it on :)
Have a great weekend!
Denise

amy & lisa said...

It's been a long time since my kids were losing teeth, but I am sure that I did forget to be the Tooth Fairy too!
Your toothfairy picture looks like Toothenna the Toothfairy! She is our Dental Consultant at work. :)
Lisa
www.personallyyouparties.blogspot.com